- This event has passed.
Yosemite Field School: Yosemite Valley Geology
March 24, 2023 - March 25, 2023$105
Yosemite Valley’s remarkable rock formations are among the park’s most recognizable features. On this guided adventure, explore the ancient forces that created geological icons like Half Dome, Glacier Point, El Capitan, and much more with National Park Service geologist Greg Stock. He’ll give you the inside story of Yosemite’s peaks, domes, and cliffs — including how glaciation shaped the Sierra landscape, forming jagged nunataks that jutted out above the ice, and the erratic boulders left behind when the climate slowly shifted. Bring your scientific curiosity and rock-related questions!
Know Before You Go:
- Program date: Friday, March 24, 9am-5pm
- Program location: Yosemite Valley
- What’s included: One full day of guided instruction by Yosemite National Park Geologist Greg Stock, PhD; park entry (as needed); and shared tent camping (camping dates cannot be altered). There is no discount if you choose not to use the included gate pass or campsite.
- Camping dates: Participants can arrive on March 23 after 12pm and must depart March 25 by 11am. There are two shared campsites among all the participants. We guarantee tent camping only. If you choose to bring a recreational vehicle, we cannot guarantee you will have a parking spot. Please be prepared to tent camp. A picnic table, bear locker and fire pit are provided at each site. Campsites fit 6 people per site.
- Campground Location: Upper Pines in Yosemite Valley
- Lodging: Upgrade to Curry Village for an additional fee. Lodging dates match camping dates. Lodging blocks expire 30 days prior to the program. Details on using our Group Code to book lodging will be emailed to you immediately after you register.
- Experience level: All levels welcome.
What’s not included:
- Gear or meals during your program.
- Camping gear or meals in the shared campsites.