The Sierra Nevada Alliance is seeking to grow its board of directors and bring new skills and insights to our organization. Please take a moment to learn more about who we are, and what we’re looking for in a board member, and please apply. We’re accepting board applications until July 31, 2021.
1. The Sierra Nevada Alliance
Since 1993, the Sierra Nevada Alliance has been protecting and restoring Sierra lands, water, wildlife, and communities. We are a hub for stewardship of the Sierra Nevada, which we achieve by empowering and collaborating as an “Alliance,” with our partners. Our vision is for every Sierra ecosystem and community to be healthy, resilient, and collectively cared for through thriving partnerships, as a legacy for future generations. We achieve our goals through various programs, including serving as a resource and education hub for our member organizations, the Sierra Nevada Americorps Partnership, and the Sierra Corps Forestry Fellowship.
We have dreamed big. We are now looking for people whose experience and aspirations can help us dream even bigger. That is where you come in.
2. Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking passionate, engaged individuals with already-honed board skills or an enthusiasm to learn. We seek board members ready to devote 5 to 10 hours per month to maintaining and improving an established nonprofit organization with dedicated and talented staff.
Specific skills and experience we welcome include, but are not limited to:
- Experience serving on nonprofit boards.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience in nonprofit finance and accounting.
- Lives in or visits the Sierra Nevada often.
- Experience as staff or a leader of a nonprofit organization.
- Passion for conservation and social justice.
- Grassroots organizing experience.
- Extroverts who love talking to people.
Note that we don’t ask — or expect — any one person to have all of these skills or experience. The best boards bring together groups with varied experience, so if you can point to even one of these and say, “that’s me!”, we want you to apply.
3. Board Commitment
The Board sets the strategic direction of the Alliance. Additionally, the Board is responsible for the financial health of the organization, and plays direct and essential roles in fundraising and overseeing the Alliance’s finances. The Board directly supervises the Executive Director, and ensures the Alliance thrives under best management and leadership practices.
Specific expectations include:
- Commit to serve for at least a three-year term, and may serve as long as six years.
- Devote 5 to 10 hours per month to the organization, which will vary month to month.
- Attend 4 virtual board meetings per year.
- Serve on at least one committee, which meet as frequently as monthly.
- Donate or fundraise at least $500 annually (Sierra Keeper level), and aim for more.
- Each board member covers their own related expenses, such as travel, education, and other costs.
We would love to hear from you. Please click the link below and tell us about your experience and why you want to join the Sierra Nevada Alliance Board. We are accepting applications until July 31, 2021. We will acknowledge receipt of all submissions.