The Sierra Nevada Alliance is seeking to grow its board of directors and bring new skills and insights to our organization. Please take a moment to learn more about who we are, what we’re looking for in a board member, and apply if you feel like you’d be a good fit. Applications will be accepted through August 15, 2022.
The Sierra Nevada Alliance
Since 1993, the Sierra Nevada Alliance has been protecting and restoring Sierra lands, water, wildlife, and communities. We are a hub for stewardship of the Sierra Nevada, which we achieve by empowering and collaborating as an “Alliance,” with our partners. Our vision is for every Sierra ecosystem and community to be healthy, resilient, and collectively cared for through thriving partnerships, as a legacy for future generations. We achieve our goals through various programs, including serving as a resource and education hub for our member organizations, the Sierra Nevada Americorps Partnership, and the Sierra Corps Forestry Fellowship.
We have great aspirations. We are now looking for people whose experience and aspirations can help us meet our goals. That is where you come in!
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking passionate, engaged individuals with already-honed board skills or an enthusiasm to learn.
We are looking to diversify our current representation, and encourage applicants to apply that meet the demographics below.
- Black, Indigenous, and People of Color
- All gender identities, sexual representation, and age
- Geographic diversity (across the Sierra Nevada California and Nevada)
- Fundraising, financial and legal experience
In addition, applicants should have:
- Experience serving on nonprofit boards.
- Experience as staff or a leader of a nonprofit organization.
- Passion for conservation and social justice.
- Grassroots organizing experience.
- A passion for talking about our mission and programs. We need cheerleaders!
We don’t ask or expect any one person to have all of these skills or experience. The best boards bring together groups with varied experience, so if you can point to even one of these and say, “that’s me!”, we want you to apply.
The Board guides the strategic direction of the Alliance. Additionally, the Board is responsible for the financial health of the organization, and plays direct and essential roles in fundraising and overseeing the Alliance’s finances. The Board directly supervises the Executive Director, and ensures the organization thrives under best management and leadership practices.
Specific expectations include:
- Commit to serve for at least a three-year term, and may serve as long as six years.
- Devote five to ten hours per month to the organization, which will vary month to month.
- Attend four virtual board meetings per year.
- Serve on at least one committee, which meet as frequently as monthly.
- Donate or fundraise at least $500 annually (Sierra Keeper level), and aim for more.
- Each board member covers their own related expenses, such as travel, education, and other costs.
We would love to hear from you. Please click the link below and tell us about your experience and why you want to join the Sierra Nevada Alliance Board. We are accepting applications until August 15, 2022. We will acknowledge receipt of all submissions.