- This event has passed.
Redbud Resource Group Masterclass: Going Beyond Land Acknowledgements
November 18, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
What this is:
An interactive 2.5 hour workshop for individuals seeking to grow their allyship with Native peoples. Participants learn about the strengths and limitations of land acknowledgments and explore concrete, action-oriented strategies for building connections with Native communities and organizations.
How you will grow:
- Gain skills and strategies to successfully address inequities and disparities that exist in your community.
- Improve your understanding of the challenges faced by contemporary Native peoples in relation to your own life and work.
- Connect with like-minded people across fields and organizations who can support you in your diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
How It Works:
- Workshop participants learn about common disparities faced by contemporary Native peoples by examining public health data and hearing from Native community members.
- Through small, facilitated group conversations, participants then analyze the purpose and effectiveness of land acknowledgments in addressing these disparities.
- Using excerpts from Redbud’s Going Beyond Land Acknowledgement assessment program, participants self-assess and reflect on their own lives and work, and begin to build an improvement plan for growing stronger, more supportive relationships with Native communities.
Who We Are:
Redbud Resource Group’s advisors represent diverse Tribal communities. Throughout the workshop, we integrate expert knowledge from the fields of education and public health, as well as our personal insight as Native people.
Taylor Pennewell, Tyme Maidu Tribe, Masters in Teaching, University of San Francisco, California Teaching Credential- English Language Arts.
Rose Hammock, Maidu, Pomo, Wailaki, Cultural Educator, Big Picture Learning Native American Initiative
“My organization is willing and wanting to be in solidarity with Native communities, but struggles with getting specific. Going Beyond Land Acknowledgements will influence how we grow our infrastructure and practices to better align with our values.”
– Jessica Munger, Program Director, Move to Amend