Do you love the Sierra Nevada? Want to help restore and protect the Range of Light? Do you want to gain valuable environmental professional experience?
The application period for 2019-20 Full-Term SNAP positions is now closed. We will begin accepting applications for spring Half-Term positions in February 2020. To learn more about the application process, click the “Application Instructions” button above for details.
Becoming a Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership member enables you to do great things for the Sierra Nevada while you grow as an individual and attain tangible benefits. Put your idealism to work through AmeriCorps. Protect the Sierra environment and rural communities. You will learn teamwork, communications, conservation issues, responsibility and other essential skills that will help you for the rest of your life. And you’ll gain the personal satisfaction of taking on a challenge and seeing results. The Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership needs your courage, skills, and dedication. Click here to download the 2019-20 Member Application Information Packet.
We are seeking enthusiastic, conservation-minded people to commit to a year of service to protect Sierra natural resources and sustainable communities. During the year, SNAP members will gain skills and technical training, mentor with outstanding environmental leaders and receive an education award at the successful completion of service.
Since 2007, more than 220 SNAP Members have served at 34 Sierra conservation organizations and agencies to:
- Restore more than 16,000 acres of habitat,
- Monitor more than 1,300 ecological sites,
- Educate more than 180,000 people,
- Recruit and support more than 37,500 community volunteers, and
- Contribute 550,000 hours of service!
Responsibilities & Projects:
Full-term Members will serve full-time, from mid-October 2019 – mid-September 2020, and Half-term Members will serve full-time, with the fall term running from mid-October 2019 – early April 2020, and the spring term running from early April – mid-September 2020. Projects & responsibilities will vary depending on service positions and will be based on watershed restoration and assessment, watershed education, and volunteer recruitment and management. Click here to view a general full term SNAP Position Description. You can check out the 2019-2020 Position Descriptions here. More positions will be added soon! Explore a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED (higher education degrees are highly recommended).
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to serve as an AmeriCorps member.
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service.
- Must have not served more than 3 previous AmeriCorps terms of service.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Monthly stipend of $1,345 per month
- Standard health insurance
- Up to 340 hours (full-term) or 180 hours (half-term) of technical, ecological and skills-development training throughout the year.
- AmeriCorps Education Award of $10,000 (full-term) or $3,047.50 (half-term) will be granted upon completion of the program for use on existing qualified student loans or future higher education expenses.
All submissions are confidential. The Sierra Nevada Alliance and AmeriCorps are equal opportunity employers. We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our SNAP Positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.