Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Volunteer Coordinator – Carson City Parks, Recreation and Open Space
Carson City, Nevada
This is an full-time FLSA Exempt position with Carson City Parks, Recreation, and Open Space, located in Carson City, NV. Under general supervision, the employee coordinates and manages an ongoing volunteer program focused on stewardship of Carson City’s Parks and Open Space. Additionally, this position is responsible for assisting the Parks, Recreation & Open Space Department with website updates, social media posting and other community engagement activities.
Examples of Duties:
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all- inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Plans and coordinates the components and services of the Parks, Recreation & Open Space Department’s volunteer program, including daily oversight, scheduling, program development and promotion.
- Recruits, interviews, and screens volunteers; refers potential volunteers to a specific unit or program area; and matches volunteers to departmental needs whenever possible.
- Orients volunteers to the department or division to which assigned; provides information regarding policies, procedures, and regulations; conducts information or training sessions as required.
- Ensures volunteers are trained and operating safely; coordinates with fellow staff to receive training to then relay to volunteers.
- Provides ongoing support and guidance to volunteers; monitors and evaluates volunteers; and solicits and responds to volunteer feedback.
- Plans, develops, and implements periodic activities, awards, and other methods for the recognition and incentive for volunteers.
- Collaborates with other employees to provide volunteer program development, program promotion, interpretation, visitor information, and media development.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the department’s service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of the team.
- Plans, organizes, and implements departmental outreach events to attract volunteers.
- Tracks applications for volunteer assignments.
- Recommends utilization of and organizes volunteers’ activities to support Department community programs.
- Maintains records of all Department community programs in a volunteer data
- Prepares a variety of written reports and materials regarding volunteer program data; submits reports in a professional and timely manner, including incident reports.
- Identifies, develops, implements, and evaluates operational objectives to meet Department program goals and objectives.
- Conducts ongoing needs assessments and program evaluations by collecting data through various means to determine the success and effectiveness of current program components.
- Develops communication strategies and techniques including news releases, advisories and bulletins, proclamations, brochures, newsletters, videos, and presentations for newspapers, magazines, websites, and social media designed to inform the public of the roles, resources, and activities of the City; gains public input and support for volunteer programs and activities; communicates City vision, mission, strategies, plans, and expectations.
- Provides photographic, video, and other services as required.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors the department’s website and social media strategy/content; responds to community feedback/questions regarding information posted on the website and social media sites.
- Serves as a resource person for the department in making presentations to the City, non-profit, service and business organizations regarding the volunteer program.
- Represents the City at various advisory boards, committees, and commissions.
- Participates in public information meetings, responds to written and telephone inquiries from the public on issues and questions associated with assigned duties.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with elected officials, public and City staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
- Represents the City with dignity, integrity, and a spirit of cooperation in all relationships with staff and the public.
- Organizes own work, sets priorities, and meets critical deadlines.
- Will be required to work outside normal business hours, such as evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Assist Senior Natural Resource Specialist and other staff with field work not related to volunteer program, as needed.
- Plans, executes and oversees volunteer activities and events in outdoor, natural settings such as restoration and weed removal, trail maintenance, trash clean-up, etc.
- Assists with volunteer coordination and community donations in the event of city-declared emergencies.