Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps – Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful
The Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps is an essential member of KTMB’s team. This person will assist the Beautification and Cleanups Manager in maintaining the high quality of KTMB’s volunteer programs including recruiting, training, managing, and retaining volunteers. The Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps will work closely with KTMB’s community and municipal partners to assist with the coordination of large scale litter pickup events, as well as small scale Neighborhood Cleanups. This person will also assist in the maintenance of KTMB’s project and data tracking software and will continue the precedent of high quality maintenance of KTMB’s volunteer registration database. Lastly, the Service Learning Coordinator AmeriCorps will assist the Sustainability Education Manager in implementing KTMB’s sustainability education program which is designed to raise awareness about common environmental threats that lower the quality of life, health and economy in the Truckee Meadows. This will be done primarily through formal and informal presentations to community groups, businesses, and individuals, hands-on maintenance of KTMB’s on-line Recycling Guide, and assisting in KTMB’s Green Business Program.
KTMB is committed to fostering a safe and supportive work environment for AmeriCorps members to gain relevant experience, learn desired skills, and pursue their passion projects.
Service Location: Reno, NV: “Biggest Little City in the World”, gateway to beautiful and scenic Lake Tahoe and Burning Man HQ nestled in the Truckee Meadows, which straddle the Sierra Nevada mountain range and the Great Basin Desert.
Timeline for Service: September 25th, 2023 through August 9th, 2024
- Research sustainable solutions and assist in the enhancement and implementation of community educational presentations, service learning events, community workshops and seminars, and other educational opportunities;
- Maintain and update KTMB’s Recycling Guide database of community recycling resources primarily through check-in calls to the participating businesses;
- Assist in the certification and recognition of green businesses in Reno and Sparks;
- Implement volunteer training protocols and assist with volunteer management for all three of KTMB’s programs;
- Assist in coordinating KTMB’s annual programs including The Great Community Cleanup, The Truckee River Cleanup and Christmas Tree Recycling;
- Conduct project site orientations and lead volunteers for KTMB’s Adopt-A-Spot and neighborhood cleanup programs;
- Prepare and maintain inventory of supplies and appropriate tools for volunteer cleanups;
- Facilitate volunteer retention and appreciation events throughout the year through donation solicitation;
- Recruit and collaborate with community volunteers;
- Update and maintain KTMB’s project management and volunteer database;