Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Science Educator – Sierra Nevada Journeys
Sierra Nevada Journeys is seeking dynamic education professionals to help expand the program base in Sacramento, CA. This position requires a motivated individual with an engaging personality who is passionate about building scientific literacy and critical thinking skills through outdoor science education.
The ideal candidate is prepared to teach in a variety of settings (classroom, outdoors, Family STEM Nights), grade and analyze assessments and support the overall education operations of the Classrooms Unleashed program. The position requires an individual who is able to work well on their own and on a team, and who is committed to supporting a nonprofit on the leading edge of the informal education industry. Part-time Educators will report directly to Sierra Nevada Journeys’ Sacramento Program Director.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Teach Sierra Nevada Journeys programs in the classroom and field and lead Family STEM Nights (85%)
- Typical programs may include the following:
- Classrooms Unleashed – The majority of teaching will be done through this multi-part program. This program consists of two in-class lessons and an outdoor science field study at a local nature site. Topics include Earth Science, Life Science, Environmental Science, and Physical Science and Engineering.
- Outdoor field studies – This involves leading groups of 12-20 students, K-6th grade, through a variety of field-based science activities at local nature sites during the field study portion of the Classrooms Unleashed program.
- Family STEM Nights – Lead family engagement events held at elementary schools and partnering community-based organizations. Serve as site contact, lead and organize volunteers, organize and set up station supplies, and “emcee” the event.
- Afterschool Programs – Facilitate 60–90-minute, hands-on STEM and team building activities with up to 30 students in the classroom and in the school yard.
- Summer Programs – Facilitate 1.5-3-hour, hands-on STEM and team building activities with up to 30 students at partnering schools and community organizations in the classroom and in the school yard.
- Assist with program administration duties, such as printing student notebooks, prepping lesson bins, communicating with teachers, grading student assessments and inputting teacher program evaluation responses (10%)
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings and support outreach events, such as job fairs, educational tabling events, etc. (5%)
- The time frame of this position (and most of our programs) aligns with the school calendar. Therefore, the most working hours take place from late January to mid-June, and mid-August to mid-December.
- Winter (mid-December through late January) and summer (mid-June to mid-August) hours will be limited with fewer programs taking place during these time frames.
- Program development, curriculum writing, teaching or observing other Sierra Nevada Journeys programs may be included during these off-season time frames.
- Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. availability with occasional evening availability until 7 p.m. for Family STEM Night faciliatation (work days will not exceed 8 hours)
- Ability to commute daily to schools and field trip sites within a 10-45 minute drive of the Sacramento office
- Current Red Cross CPR and First Aid (or willing to fulfill this requirement prior to start date)
- Ability to pass background check
- Passionate commitment to working with children of all backgrounds
- Substitute teaching license
- Current licensure not required to apply, but if considered for the position, must be actively pursuing or willing to do so. Sierra Nevada Journeys will reimburse for all associated costs.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and maintain a positive attitude
- All employees and volunteers are required to attest in writing they have up-to-date immunization against the diseases required for public school attendance in the state in which they work
For more information and to apply, click here.