Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Policy Advocate – League to Save Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Looking to help Keep Tahoe Blue while working with a team of outdoor enthusiasts and professionals protecting Lake Tahoe? The League to Save Lake Tahoe is searching for a dynamic, detail-oriented, intuitive, and analytical environmental researcher to support our team through legislative and policy analysis and tracking. This position will help translate environmental plans and policies into potential advocacy campaigns to achieve our mission to Keep Tahoe Blue. This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a high level of responsibility providing critical administrative and analytical support to the League to help us progress at protecting a national treasure, Lake Tahoe. This individual will serve as an integral part of the League’s Policy Team, tracking updates and movement of all relevant environmental plans, policies and resource opportunities for Lake Tahoe; providing administrative and logistical support for lobbying efforts; and ensuring that League executives and Policy Team members are informed and up to date on advocacy issues.
Under the direction of the Senior Land Use Policy Analyst, the PA will enjoy researching and summarizing environmental issues in local, state and federal legislation, organizing meetings with external partners, and tracking Policy Team metrics of success. Professional experience in some combination of natural sciences, planning, environmental management, policy development, political lobbying/campaigning, and grassroots advocacy is optimal for success in this position.
The PA is the administrative backbone to all Policy Team planning, meetings, tracking, and internal briefs.
- Analyzing, researching, and helping evaluate proposed land use and transportation plans, legislative actions and opportunities, and development and restoration projects within the greater Lake Tahoe region. Providing thorough overviews to the Policy Team as well as recommendations on advocacy actions to achieve League priorities.
- Tracking and informing the Policy Team of proposed plan and policy changes, legislative priorities and planning developments. Monitoring changes in Tahoe, California, Nevada and federal environmental planning and policy practices, including, but not limited to CEQA, NEPA, and the CWA.
- Tracking and reviewing agendas and materials for public meetings and working groups, and providing summaries of items related to the League’s campaigns and initiatives.
- Providing administrative and logistical support for all lobbying efforts at local, state, and federal levels.
- Helping advance the League’s priorities by identifying potential advocacy opportunities and partnerships.
- B.A. or B.S. in land use planning, environmental policy, natural resources, or related field – or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in legislative tracking, research, and analysis at state and federal levels.
- Experience with political campaigns and/or grassroots advocacy and lobbying.
- Knowledge of major state and federal environmental policies and laws.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment requiring advanced critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Maintain professionalism while working on sometimes controversial and disputed issues.
- Concise and persuasive technical writing skills.
- Efficient and effective at managing and completing tasks to meet deadlines.
- Excellent time-management skills; ability to manage multiple issue campaigns and projects simultaneously; exercises organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Possess professionalism, a collaborative spirit and creative energy.
- Computer proficiency with Windows, Office 365 and Google Apps.
- Flexibility in scheduling and willingness to travel to and attend frequent public meetings in and around the region that may include evenings and weekends.
- Someone who is both self-starting and a team player while possessing exceptional organizational and communications skills will thrive in this creative and fast-paced work environment.
- Familiarity with Lake Tahoe environmental and policy issues and community dynamics.
- An interest and passion for environmental conservation and the League’s mission to protect, restore, and advocate for the ecosystem health and scenic appeal of the Lake Tahoe Basin.
- The chosen candidate must be able to dependably get around the Lake Tahoe Basin, Bay Area, Reno, and Sacramento at all reasonable hours and in all reasonable weather conditions, including heavy snow, and when public transportation is not available. The League does not provide a vehicle or other forms of transportation.
- Position requires some physical activity such as bending, stooping, carrying, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Employees are required to have a current COVID-19 vaccination.
Pay Range: $20 – $23/hr
- Please send us a PDF copy of your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us why you’re the best fit for the position and for the League.
- We communicate via email, so please check your inbox and spam to ensure you don’t miss important updates from us.
For more information please see the position description.