Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Philanthropy Manager – Sacramento Region Community Foundation
Hybrid Remote in Sacramento, California
Reporting to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and operating as a key member of the Philanthropy & Communications team, the Philanthropy Manager focuses on connecting with potential fundholders to solicit gifts focused on unrestricted giving. The Philanthropy Manager provides prospective and current fundholders with the highest level of services in support of charitable giving. The Philanthropy Manager brings fundraising experience, with a focus on major gifts of $10,000 and above. The position is responsible for growing the Foundation’s unrestricted giving program by identifying and cultivating new supporters, growing relationships with and stewarding current fundholders, and securing gifts to assure a lasting source of philanthropic funds for the benefit of the region.
This new role will help the Foundation meet objectives outlined in the new Strategic Roadmap, which is grounded in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the region, and will specifically focus on growing the number of unrestricted funds, both expendable and endowed.
- Develop the Foundation’s unrestricted giving program, thinking strategically to set and meet goals, identify, and cultivate prospects, and grow giving year over year.
- Collaborate with the Philanthropy & Communications team to develop cases for support, collateral, and other communication strategies to engage supporters in unrestricted giving, best explaining the purpose of these gifts.
- Build and maintain relationships throughout the region to increase the Foundation’s visibility and secure unrestricted giving. Actively manage portfolio of prospective and current supporters.
- Increase the Foundation’s assets as they relate to unrestricted giving, according to the goals established by the Board and CEO.
- Explore grant funding opportunities to support strategic initiatives.
- Secure corporate support through event sponsorship and business funds.
- Establish and grow giving circles to engage younger and more diverse donors to expand the Foundation’s supporter base.
- Partner with the Director of Planned Giving to identify prospects with a goal of generating planned gifts, especially those related to unrestricted dollars used to serve the greatest needs in the region. Act as the guardian of donor intent in all matters related to legacy fundholders.
- Work closely with fellow members of the Philanthropy & Communications team to provide high quality stewardship to fundholders.
- Connect with private family foundations to encourage them to utilize the Foundation to manage their administrative support services.
- Take an active role in the maintenance of complete and accurate records of donors and fundholders in the central database.
- Understand federal and state regulations regarding charitable giving.
- Assure that development policies and procedures are carried out in a manner compliant with best practices according to the National Standards for Community Foundations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of fundraising experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and possess the ability to master our internal donor management system (C-Suite), and/or facility with and ability to learn other donor prospect/data content management systems.
- Experience with donor prospect management platforms preferred.
- Experience working with wealth screening software preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills.
- Strong ethical standards.
- Able to bend, lift, and move up to 25 pounds.
- Community foundation experience, a plus.