Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Mid-level Biologist – Janelle Nolan & Associates Environmental Consulting
Diamond Springs, California
Janelle Nolan & Associates Environmental Consulting (JNA Consulting) is a certified small business located in Diamond Springs, California. Our professionals provide services in hydroelectric licensing, relicensing, and license compliance; California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)/National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Federal and California Endangered Species Act (ESA and CESA); Clean Water Act (CWA); strategic regulatory guidance; and biological resource survey, planning, and management. We apply our skills and experience to work closely with our clients and develop strategic approaches, weigh pros and cons, and provide recommendations that effectively address the requirements of applicable laws and regulations and meet the needs of our clients.
JNA Consulting is seeking a mid-level biologist to provide support on a variety of projects located mainly in the Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills of California.
Responsibilities would include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and implement technical field studies including developing survey schedules, ensuring the efficient and accurate collection of data, and drafting survey reports;
- Implement special-status botanical and/or wildlife surveys, both reconnaissance and protocol-level;
- Assist in preparing environmental documents including permit applications for projects requiring coverage under Sections 404 and 401 of the CWA and Section 1600 of the California Fish and Game Code;
- Prepare biological resources sections of CEQA/NEPA documents;
- Prepare Biological Assessments and/or Biological Evaluations assessing project impacts on species listed under the ESA and/or included on Forest Service sensitive lists; and
- Create environmental training materials and conduct construction monitoring.
- Bachelor’s degree in botany, wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science, or other relevant subject;
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience;
- Strong data collection, critical thinking, and technical writing skills;
- Working knowledge of environmental mapping and database applications;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Proficiency in GIS field data collection/mapping and solid backcountry navigational skills;
- Must be physically fit and able to navigate rugged high-elevation forest conditions on foot, and be comfortable backcountry camping; and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Preferred qualifications (not required):
- Experience with Sierra Nevada flora and fauna;
- Previous experience leading field surveys;
- Wildlife survey experience including the following species: California red-legged frog, foothill and Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, Yosemite toad, northern goshawk, California spotted owl, great gray owl, bald eagle, willow flycatcher, fisher, marten;
- 4WD experience;
- Section 10(a)(1)(a) or other special-status species research or collection permits a plus.
Training, travel expense reimbursement, and survey-specific equipment will be provided. Salary will be determined commensurate with experience, but would be in the range of $45,000 – $80,000. JNA Consulting offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation package dependent upon level of education and technical capabilities. JNA Consulting provides merit bonuses, generous paid time off and paid holidays, medical insurance, and a retirement program. The retirement program is a 401k plan with company contributions and employee match.