Forester (Registered) – Save the Redwoods League
Are you passionate about forestry restoration and seeking to deepen your experience leading complex projects to
achieve tangible outcomes on the ground? Save the Redwoods League is seeking a Tulare County based
Registered Forester to lead implementation of a wide range of forest restoration and stewardship projects in the
southern Sierra Nevada, particularly within the range of the giant sequoia.
As the Registered Forester, you will work closely with the Director of Stewardship and Restoration, the Director of
Science and Conservation Planning, and the Sierra Stewardship and Restoration Manager to oversee a range of
projects on League-owned properties and public lands managed by agency partners, particularly the United States
Forest Service. You will be responsible for the development of project plans, prescriptions and schedules, contract
development, oversight and implementation, project permitting and compliance, and close coordination with a
wide range of partners, researchers, and interested parties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project Planning, Implementation and Coordination
- Monitors and assesses field conditions; prepares project plans, scopes of work, and forestry prescriptions
- Coordinates and leads the field approach and decision-making for restoration operations
- Manages contractors; coordinates their efforts with League staff and partners in the field; leads operational planning and facilitates contractor meetings
- Serves as the key conduit for the flow of information between agencies and League staff and contractors
- Helps develop and coordinates annual and seasonal work schedules
- Prepares and administers timber sales including timber marking and cruising
Contract Administration Support
- Coordinates contracts and work orders in collaboration with the Sierra Stewardship and Restoration Manager
- Reviews and approves contractor bids, schedules, work plans, and budgets for accuracy, feasibility, and alignment with project goals
- Tracks costs, revenue, and progress against projected costs and revenues
- Collaborates with the Sierra Stewardship and Restoration Manager on invoice preparation and review
- Coordinates with the Director of Stewardship and Restoration on log marketing and manages log sales and revenue tracking
Crew and Contractor Management
- Coordinates implementation of contractors and monitors their work to maintain quality, productivity, and efficiency; ensures expectations are met while working with League staff and partners
- Ensures contract specifications are monitored in the field and correct communication protocols are followed
- Maintains regulatory compliance related to workforce safety in the field; ensures safety protocols are understood and implemented by all personnel
- Understands environmental permit requirements; ensures permit compliance in the field; coordinates responses to any identified violations or issues in the field and elevates as appropriate
- Issues notices to proceed and stop work as needed
- Adapts field operations to unforeseen natural and human-made disturbances such as wildfire, inclement weather, pandemic, etc.
For more information, click here.