Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Field Educator, Reno Classrooms Unleashed Program – Sierra Nevada Journeys
Sierra Nevada Journeys is seeking Field Educators to help lead elementary outdoor science field studies in the Reno-Sparks area. This position requires an individual with a dedication to growth, learning and improvement. The ideal candidate has experience with teaching and is prepared to teach outdoor science programs at parks and nature sites in the Reno/Sparks area. The position requires an individual who can work well on their own and on a team, and who is committed to supporting a nonprofit on the leading edge of the informal education industry. They should be passionate about fostering scientific literacy, critical thinking skills, social and emotional well-being, and environmental stewardship.
Field Educators lead K-8 students at local nature sites and schoolyards for 2-3-hour field trips, and at family and community engagement events. Field Educators will report directly to Sierra Nevada Journeys’ Reno Program Director.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead trail groups of 10 to 15 students through a variety of field-based science activities at local nature sites while covering subjects including environmental, earth, and life sciences through our Classrooms Unleashed program
- Help run Family STEM Nights by organizing supplies, facilitating operations, and working with a team of staff and volunteers to engage families in hands-on STEM activities at local elementary schools
- Support outreach events, such as job fairs, educational tabling events, etc.
- Available at least three weekdays per week from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays are field trip days
- Ability to commute to schools and field trip sites within a 3-hour drive of Reno-Sparks (carpooling is available to field sites from Reno office)
- Current Red Cross CPR and first aid or willingness to fulfill this requirement prior to start date (Sierra Nevada Journeys will cover the cost)
- Passionate commitment to working with children of all backgrounds
- Ability to pass background check
- All employees and volunteers are required to attest in writing they have up-to-date immunizations against the diseases required for public school attendance in the State in which they work as a condition of employment.
- Occasional evening availability for Family STEM Night facilitation (between 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Demonstrates cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of our program participants and fellow colleagues.
For more information and to apply, click here.