Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Executive Director – Friends of Plumas Wilderness
The Executive Director oversees operations for Friends of Plumas Wilderness, a small regional grassroots organization that aims to protect the wild landscapes, free-flowing waters, and natural communities where the Sierra and Cascades meet. The E.D. helps carry out the mission of FoPW to study, explore, and maintain the integrity of natural ecosystems where the Sierra and Cascades meet.
With guidance from the FoPW Board of Directors, the E.D. works with partners, staff, contractors, and volunteers to guide, direct, and execute efforts that further the four pillars of our program of work: advocacy and planning, outreach and education, monitoring and stewardship, and the development and maintenance of the organization’s health.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing people
- Success writing and administering grants
- Knowledge of public lands management policy
- Strong conservation ethic
- Time management / organizational skills
- Non-profit experience
- Effective writing and reporting abilities
- Contract management
- Understanding of Natural Sciences
- Knowledge of natural and human communities of the region
- Essential duties fall under three main categories: advocacy; finances, organization & administration; and outreach & communications.
- Mentor, evaluate, and guide interns, volunteers, contractors, and staff
- Collaborate with Board of Directors
- Convey a positive and professional public image
- Provide leadership and coordination for local, regional, state, and national level campaigns
- Plan and facilitate programs and events
- Develop and implement membership and fundraising strategy
- Develop, regularly convene and seek direction from Organization & Finances Advisory Committee
- Oversee operations including budget, finances, grants, fundraising, and human resources
- Three-quarters to full-time (equivalent of $25 – $30 / hour) Flexible hours
- Benefits: half of health, dental & vision insurance paid; Paid Time Off; 3% Simple IRA
- Submit resume and letter of interest to Darla DeRuiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.