Deputy Director of Development & Campaigns – The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Grounded in science, we develop innovative solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity; respect for people, communities, and cultures; and a collaborative, bipartisan approach. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world.
The California Chapter is TNC’s largest state program, with approximately 230 employees working to achieve our conservation mission, from financial analysts to on-the-ground ecologists. We are currently engaged in more than two dozen large-scale conservation projects statewide—projects that are designed to develop and test ideas to increase the pace, scale, and effectiveness of conservation. Over the past six decades, we have protected 1.4 million acres, 5,000 miles of streams, and 3.8 million acres of ocean habitat in California and off the coast.
The California Chapter believes that we are most effective when we are embedded in our state’s communities, politics, media, and environmental issues. For this reason, and to reduce our carbon footprint when meeting in person, all staff live in California, including those in a home office.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Deputy Director is a close partner to the Chief Development Officer and is the primary lead on fundraising campaigns in California.
The Deputy Director will join a high performing fundraising team of 40 professionals that cover major and principal gifts, foundations and corporations, loyal donor and estate planning in California with annual fundraising results in excess of $50 million. While this is a California chapter position, we work with colleagues in all 50 states and 72 countries to implement donor-driven strategies that maximize overall giving to the Conservancy.
Working in partnership with the Development Team, global Development leadership, and consultants, the Deputy Director will coordinate all campaign-related initiatives and integrate them with existing TNC California programs and functions. The Deputy Director also manages the Development Communications and Development Operations functions and will partner across departments to provide best-in-class donor experiences for major and principal gift donors.
The Deputy Director will:
- Develop a persuasive campaign case statement and compelling giving opportunities, in collaboration with marketing, conservation science and programs leadership.
- Conceive, design and direct interdepartmental and strategic initiatives, coordinating the work of other professionals and senior-level stakeholders (e.g. Net Promoter System).
- In partnership with the Chief Development Officer and Executive Director, form Campaign Committee. Serve as Committee liaison, attending meetings, preparing agendas and minutes, distributing and coordinating volunteer assignments, and assisting the Chief Development Officer in providing support for Committee members.
- Work closely with the Campaign Chair(s), Chief Development Officer and campaign consultant to manage the campaign timeline and promote timely decision-making and activity in alignment with the campaign timetable.
- Develop and/or refine campaign systems, policies and protocols as needed; manage the implementation and execution of existing policies.
- Monitor campaign progress on a consistent basis using established metrics.
- Provide regular campaign communication for TNC CA leadership, volunteer campaign leadership and donors.
- Assist in the development of customized cultivation and solicitation strategies for individuals as well as corporation and foundation prospects.
- Work with Development and other TNC CA staff to develop a calendar of campaign events.
- Serve as liaison with TNC CA’s Marketing and Development Communications Teams to help establish and implement the campaign communications plan including collateral and materials for solicitation.
- Serve as liaison to TNC CA’s Volunteer Leadership Program to engage the Board of Trustees and California Leadership Council and identify volunteer leader prospects.
- Ensure that campaign strategies are implemented in concert with and complementary to existing initiatives and larger organizational goals.
- Ensure that the campaign remains a top organizational priority
The Deputy Director may manage a small portfolio of principal gift prospects, if desired.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We’re looking for a creative, collaborative and competitive development leader with experience designing, organizing, and directing multimillion dollar fundraising campaigns.
We have a large base of support; amazing stories and ideas; and a powerful team of conservation leaders working to solve some of the biggest challenges facing the planet today across land, water, oceans and climate. Our ambitious conservation agenda requires an ambitious fundraising campaign to make the kind of difference this planet needs.
If you care about nature and its fate in a rapidly changing world; if you believe in practical solutions and uncommon partnerships; if you expect results through teamwork; and if you don’t settle for the way things have always been done, The Nature Conservancy offers the best opportunity to make an impact.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years related experience, including experience working at a senior level.
- Experience in conceiving, developing, and managing multiple projects and strategic goals.
- Experience in planning and delivering budgetary responsibilities.
- Experience managing and supervising a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience working in a large, complex, not-for-profit environment.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in principles, practices, and procedures of relevant field.
- Effectively communicates via presentations, conversations, and documents.
- Proficiency in synthesizing materials from multiple sources into a coherent and accurate summary.