Community Engagement and Marketing Coordinator – Help Save the Bees Foundation
The Community Engagement and Marketing Coordinator VISTA will develop a volunteer program for Help Save the Bees Foundation (HSBF) and recruit, train, and retain volunteers for programs and events. Founded in 2019, HSBF is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) educational organization, based in Reno, NV; serving the Reno/Sparks Metropolitan area, the agricultural width and breadth of the USA, and economically depressed portions of the Planet Earth.
Help Save the Bees Foundation helps, inspires and educates others about the fascinating nature and vital importance of bees, the challenges they face, and their impact on our planet and the human race. The USDA estimates that pollinating insects, primarily honey bees, provide $15 billion worth of agricultural improvement, helping to keep the cost of food within reach of the populations that need basic nutrition the most. And yet bees and pollinators are facing the biggest challenges ever: researchers tell us that insect populations have declined 40% over the past 10 years due to deforestation, urbanization, and overuse of pesticides. HSBF seeks to mitigate these challenges through the restoration of habitat, the reduction of the use of pesticides, and through education, with an emphasis on youth, marginalized, and underserved communities.
With the direction of the HSBF President and Board of Directors, the Community Engagement and Marketing Coordinator VISTA will develop volunteer-based projects centered on activities that grow membership and the capacity of HSBF as a whole by leveraging community members to assist with HSBF programs and outreach. This person will recruit and train volunteers, expand opportunities for volunteer engagement, and coordinate other outreach events that expand HSBF’s reach in the community. This VISTA will serve as the primary contact for all HSBF volunteers and will be responsible for communicating and regularly engaging with volunteers to develop volunteer recruitment, training, management, and retention strategies. The Community Engagement and Marketing Coordinator VISTA will develop a marketing and communications plan that enhances the advertising and outreach strategies used to promote HSBF programs and events via social media, PR, and streamlined website design.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: December, 2022- December, 2023
- Create a HSBF volunteer recruitment, training, and management program;
- Develop volunteer positions and training protocols for HSBF programs and events;
- Research and implement outreach strategies with an emphasis on how to reach underserved, low-income, and/or marginalized communities;
- Create a schedule for volunteers to promote HSBF programs and mission;
- Create and maintain a volunteer appreciation and retention plan;
- Write press releases, manage social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Meetup) and secure media partners;
- Develop, plan, and execute public events, including the securing of venues, permits and sponsors;
- Research local nonprofits and organizations with a shared interest in pollinator health; establish and maintain contact lists with representatives of such organizations; discover and recommend opportunities for project partnerships to achieve mutual objectives;
- Create flyers, brochures and other marketing, educational and promotional materials;
- Coordinate newsletter content and distribution;
- Coordinate inventory and display of materials and infrastructure of our public mobile display (Bee Booth) and static display at Rosewood Nature Study Area;
- Design, market and distribute a line of logoed clothing and products;
- Develop curriculum and visual aids for various grades and levels of education, including primary, secondary and adult education levels.
- Commitment to the Help Save the Bees Foundation mission and vision;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Environmental consciousness;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Experience with outreach events and/or networking;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Preferred: experience in volunteer management and recruitment;
- Preferred: experience with graphic design;
- Preferred: experience with event planning;
- Preferred: Reading, writing, and speaking competency in Spanish
Help Save the Bees Foundation’s Community Engagement and Marketing Coordinator VISTA is funded by the Corporations for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
Click here to learn more and apply.