Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Central Valley Water Policy Advocate – Tuolumne River Trust
The Central Valley Water Policy Advocate will be central to the success of the Tuolumne River Trust (TRT) to achieving its goals to restore the ecological health of the lower Tuolumne River. The Water Policy Advocate will coordinate and support efforts to improve instream flows, advance habitat restoration policies, and promote sustainable agriculture and groundwater management in Stanislaus County.
The Tuolumne River Trust is staffed by committed people who want to see the Tuolumne River and its surrounding communities thrive. The Water Policy Advocate will report to TRT’s Policy Director and coordinate closely with the Central Valley Program Director and Habitat Restoration Specialist. This is a great opportunity to join a fun, energetic team that continues to build on a forty-year history of successful campaigns.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of TRT’s water policy strategy in Stanislaus County and Sacramento.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of local and State water policy related to river health.
- Help to lead TRT’s efforts to revive the Tuolumne River by through promoting and advocating for higher instream flows, sustainable surface and groundwater management, and ambitious habitat restoration policies.
- Build alliances with conservation and fishing groups, community activists and other like-minded individuals and organizations.
- Strengthen relationships with irrigation districts, groundwater sustainability agencies, the Farm Bureau, local cities, Stanislaus County, and other public agencies.
- Communicate TRT’s work to the broader public, and recruiting and engaging advocates and supporters.
- Support TRT’s efforts to promote sustainable agriculture, wise land use planning, and riverside community development.
- Promote urban water conservation and the use of recycled water.
- Helping to build TRT’s support base in Stanislaus County.
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental policy or a related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Basic knowledge of California water policy and environmental science.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop relationships with a wide variety of people, even when there are disagreements on facts, science and preferred outcomes.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented. Experience working independently with minimal supervision, but also a good team player.
- Familiarity with Stanislaus County a plus.
- Commitment to the long-term success of the Tuolumne River Trust and environmental conservation.
- Bilingual is desirable but not required.
Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000
- Please send an email with cover letter and resume as attachments with subject heading “Water Policy Advocate” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First review of applications will on September 5th.
- This position will remain open until a candidate has been selected.
For more information please see the position description.