Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
California Chapter Coordinator – Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
We are seeking an individual with the talent, passion and desire to spearhead the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers mission in addition to engaging in local conservation issues in California. This position will work with the Chapter Board and volunteers in California to strengthen and develop chapter leadership, mobilize members and supporters to engage on critical state and local policy issues, execute boots-on-the-ground stewardship work, fundraise in support of chapter and HQ goals, and maintain a strong presence with conservation partners, coalitions, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and key decision makers. The coordinator serves as the liaison between BHA’s staff and chapter leadership and is ultimately connected with all of BHA’s work executed in the state.
The ideal candidate will operate with limited supervision and be flexible and organized in a fast-paced remote work environment. This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment, analyze problems and quickly develop solutions, work collaboratively with a variety of personalities, respond to change quickly and with a positive attitude, and adhere to standards of confidentiality. In addition, this candidate should be capable of evaluating and implementing policy strategies with complex dynamics and executing grant work including preparation of final reports to accurately document activities. The successful candidate will represent BHA with integrity and champion our mission and values in all facets of their work.
The California Chapter Coordinator will engage in the following:
- Inspire, cultivate and mentor willing volunteers to lead the development of the CA chapter through on the ground projects, fundraising events, membership recruitment and engagement on conservation issues central to BHA’s mission.
- Support the CA chapter board and ensure that chapter leaders are informed of and understand BHA policies, procedures and new initiatives.
- Work with chapters and BHA staff to develop and promote robust fundraising events such as hunting and fishing film tours, sport shows, clay shoots, pint nights storytelling nights and other events to promote membership, attract new public lands advocates and create in-person opportunities to grow our network and advance BHA’s work in CA.
- Help with existing state and federal grant deliverables and help identify, draft and execute grant proposals while building innovative partnerships for project proposals.
- Manage chapter communications through BHA’s website, email systems and chapter-based social media to elevate BHA’s profile, attract new members and partners and advance policy priorities.
- Monitor activities and legislation at the state legislature, and rulemaking at the Fish & Game Commission related to public lands, hunting, fishing and management of fish, wildlife, and habitat.
- Work with BHA staff to assist chapter by developing legislative or programmatic updates and activating members and supporters to engage in state legislatures, meetings with decision-makers and other events as needed.
- Work with external partners to advance strategies related to legislative or administrative conservation priorities.
- Help maintain local staff relationships with CA’s congressional delegation.
- Work with BHA’s communications staff to solicit and/or generate online content highlighting chapter policy priorities, leaders or on the ground conservation successes.
- Work with BHA’s communications staff to write letters to the editor, opinion columns and letters to state and national legislators.