Subscribe and keep up with the Sierra Nevada Alliance and receive updates about issues impacting the Sierra, what we’re doing to help, and how you can get involved. Subscribers will also receive an access code to unlock My Garden of a Thousand Bees.
Associate Forester – FRST Corp
Grass Valley, California
FRST Corp is accepting applications from prospective foresters with an immediate opening(s). FRST is a forestry and environmental consulting firm located in Grass Valley, CA whose experienced professionals provide clients with advanced forest and vegetation management solutions through the application of innovative technology and science. We are committed to high-quality professional service and client care, the conservation and wise use of natural resources, and strong business and land ethics. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic professional who wants to grow with our company, including through the addition of new lines of business.
Associate Forester: Successful applicants will work with RPFs and other professionals on all aspects of field operations, with a focus on timberland management planning, THP/timber sale preparation, rural development projects, timber and carbon inventories, and CA Air Resources Board Compliance Offset project verifications. Dependent upon skill level and experience, the applicant may manage particular projects to which he or she is suited. This position will include work in old growth giant sequoia assessment and inventory, forest carbon inventory, industrial timberland layout, and many other exciting projects! The position will be based in Grass Valley, CA, but extended travel, including camping, may be required. The option to work from home for completion of office work may be considered.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Lead and manage field work, including directing forestry technicians in the field
- Set goals for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with company’s plans and vision.
- Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks.
- Monitor employee productivity and providing constructive feedback and coaching when necessary.
- Prepare and submit performance reports.
- Make recommendations in regards to promotions and performance to Supervisor.
- Help to hire and train new employees.
- Ensure adherence to legal and company policies and procedures and undertake disciplinary actions if the needed
- Regularly exercises discretionary decisions in the performance of his/her/their duties.
- Forest inventory and cruising
- Map creation, management of a geodatabase of field data/work completed through the ESRI platform including ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, and Field Maps
- Assistance in the preparation of Timber Harvesting Plans, Nonindustrial Timber Management Plans, cost share applications, and other similar or related permits and exemptions, including field and document preparation
- Timber inventory and analysis
- Administration of logging and other forest treatment contracts
- Carbon inventory and analysis for project verifications throughout the country
- Must be committed to maintaining the confidentiality of all of employer (FRST), client, and project data and information
- Professional interaction with clients
- Strictly follows company safety and equipment use policies, including FRST’s Covid-19 Prevention Plan