- This event has passed.
Water Quality Monitoring Volunteer Training
January 8, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Become a volunteer water quality monitor with the Sierra Streams Institute!
When: January 8, from 10AM- 12PM, rain delay date January 9
Where: Pioneer Park Picnic Area, Nevada City, CA
We are looking for more volunteer monitors specifically for the Bear River. Learn more about our Bear River Monitoring Here.
Become a Water Monitoring Volunteer:
- Fill out the form on sierrastreamsinstitute.org/volunteer/ or click here.
- Attend a monitoring training to learn how to use each of our monitoring devices and collect reliable data.
- Get out there!
We have 10 monitoring sites along the Bear River. Volunteers work in pairs and typically monitor the same site each monitoring period. Volunteers commit 1 to 3 hours every other month, beginning in February of each year. Hours can vary depending on the location of their site.
A typical monitoring day involves:
- Picking up supplies from the SSI office.
- Navigating to the monitoring site.
- Collecting water chemistry data, including dissolved oxygen, conductivity, pH, and turbidity, as well as water samples, which are taken back to SSI’s lab and analyzed for nitrate (NO3), orthophosphate (PO4), total coliform, and E.coli bacteria.
- Returning supplies and samples to the SSI office.
For more information on the event see the SSI website.
Questions or for more information contact Emma Walker, River Scientist, email@example.com