TERC Circ(umnavigation) of Lake Tahoe
June 19, 2023 - June 25, 2023
Registration coming soon!
Join the UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center to Circumnavigate Lake Tahoe for Science and Scott Fitzgerrell. This kayaking event, TERC CIRC 3, will take place over seven days, starting Monday, June 19 and concluding Sunday, June 25.
Many people have paddled Tahoe’s shores, but this event is unique. In addition to each day’s 6-13 miles of spectacular shoreline paddling, you will get to see, share, and learn about Lake Tahoe’s ecology, geology, and emerging challenges. TERC’s scientific experts will accompany you and illustrate the science being used to restore Lake Tahoe, to lead you in scientific measurements, and to help you steer clear of Tahoe Tessie using the Citizen Science app.
Paddlers will enjoy:
- Complimentary snacks and drinks each day.
- Shuttle service from takeout points back to put-in points to retrieve your car.
- Pre-launch coffee/tea and pastries, with a basic strokes demonstration before the initial launch on Monday, June 20.
- A celebratory party with your fellow paddlers to enjoy food, wine, beer, and other refreshments on Sunday afternoon June 25.
- The unique camaraderie of joining like-minded paddlers in doing a good turn for the lake.
Each day’s route will be near shore and extend for between six and 13 miles. We will take a break halfway on all but one of the days. The odyssey starts at Sand Harbor, NV, and proceeds counterclockwise around the lake. Route details will be provided after registration.
The best watercraft for this event is a sit-inside, long, skinny, sea kayak. If you don’t have one, consider borrowing or renting—and kayak outfitters often sell off last year’s inventory at discounted prices. The ubiquitous sit-on-top plastic kayaks seen everywhere on the lake will work and be safe but will require more energy to paddle and will be slower. The same goes for pedal kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, and canoes. Whatever your boat, you should be able to paddle five miles in two hours or less.